Thursday, October 27, 2011

Messenger Bag by Hollows

This post needed to be written straight away. I was actually going to write a post on backpacks - yes I have a few more options, and not on messenger bags, as I'm now doing. And I was actually not going to write about modern leather craftsmen as a subject right now, as I already have started so many new subjects like pens, knives and fabrics. I should probably complete some of them before doing other things. But when I saw this bag from one of the most promising leather craftsmen, then I couldn't do anything but to ask permission to showcase it here.


The bag I'm referring to looks like this. Please file this under the category of people doing things right!







The handsome guy with the beard wearing the bag is actually also the maker. His name is Nicholas Hollows, but he usually goes by the name of Hollows. This is also the name of his leather accessories brand. Hollows has proven to be one of the most talented modern leather craftsmen around. He seems to be doing this for a living at the moment, so it makes sense, that he is so good.

I asked him about the bag and it is totally handmade and when I say handmade, I really mean it. Meaning it is cut by hand and every stitch is done by hand one at a time. This took around 40hours to do. 
It is constructed of a oil-tanned leather with a contrasting strap and closure, which is made of a natural vegetable tanned leather. The hardware is all brass and the thread is a waxed nylon thread. Personally I would have used a linen thread, but Hollows decided on the nylon thread for strength.
The construction details are also very nice. The bottom is double layered. There is a compartment on the inside for a laptop and the edges on the main compartment are rolled.


All I can say is that, I can't wait to have the time to finally make a bag myself. It has been a dream of mine for a long time, but everytime I start to think about it, I feel like having an anxiety attack. This isn't about me. It's about Hollows, his crafts and the fact, that I seriously hope, that he got paid, what this bag is worth.

If you haven't seen his work for Archival Clothing, I recommend you do so, right away. Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment