Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Meermin of Mallorca


Normally I would only buy proper shoes, that are made in England, USA, France and possibly Germany. I would of course also consider - some - Italian makers, but they tend to be way to elegant, sleek, refined and not rugged enough for my liking.



Lately however I've been looking into, what some Spanish makers are doing, and I've been quite amazed by Meermin of Mallorca. There is also a good maker in Camina, but they're not quite my style either.

Meermin makes very affordable and quite well-made shoes, as far as I've heard from reliable sources. I mean, a price tag of 160 euros isn't much for a pair of goodyear welted shoes and it doesn't end there. For instance they use suede from Stead in England, leather from D'Annonay and Du Puy in France and  Weinheimer in Germany/Poland (which are famous for their scotch grain/zug grain leathers). Those are all very good tanneries. Other than that it's also possible to get a lot of customisation, which is always very nice.

I would probably try my luck with a pair of their double monk straps in shell cordovan fitted with a rubber Dainite-like sole, but their longwings and loafers are also looking very tasty - in shell cordovan of course. Once I find the sufficient funds, I'll definitely go for a pair of Meermins.



Pictures are lifted from Simply Refined









They even have some nice offerings for women, which is quite rare when it comes to good shoemakers. For some unknown reason shoes for women are always very poorly made, but there are luckily some makers, like Meermin, that makes good shoes for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment